Re: power surge
Ups ] [ Post
Followup ] [ CPU-Central Message Board ] [ Home ]
Subject: Re: power surge
Date: 7/5/2002 5:19:22 AM (GMT-7)
IP Address: 22.214.171.124
In Reply to: power surge posted by
On the microwave was that a cheap surge strip ?
If it was a cheap one it has one small MOV which only works if the power strip switch is turned on which it had to be on to do what it did (burn out like that). I use MOV's myself but I use the bigger ones that are twice as strong as the small type & I use 2 of them (one 130 volts & the second MOV a 150 volts) on the hot & neutral lines (like your power strip if a cheap one). For some lighting protection I also use 2 MOV's between hot & ground alsoI use 2 MOV's between neutral & ground. I built these in power strips & computer switch boxes with fast blowing fuses.
But nowdays I get an old 3 prong plug from a broken device so I can use the MOV's where ever I want as long as I have a spare socket.
Even with 4x more protection I do not think it would haved slowed down the surge you got, just to much power & to much damage. The limit of MOV's also is speed as by the time they turn on to short out the excess power, alot of power has already slipped by. I am surprized that no TV's broke as the High Voltage on the screen would jump way up until the stuff started burning up. Sorry for your losses, here we only lose power alot like living in the country.
FollowUps | Post
E-Mail Sender |
[No follow-ups for this posting]
Post a Followup
Ups ] [ Post
Followup ] [ CPU-Central Message Board ]