Re: netwoking help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ CPU-Central Message Board ] [ Home ]

Subject: Re: netwoking help
Name: Solo
Date: 4/17/2001 8:54:00 AM (GMT-7)
IP Address:
In Reply to: netwoking help posted by Mick

It is possible to network 2 computers toghether using a "crossover" cable. Both computers need to have a NIC. Just plug the crossover cable into each computer and configure network neighborhood accordingly. I can give you more detailed instructions on this if necessary.

I am not sure of the exact steps you will need to take to get one computer to use the other ones modem for an internet connection but most likely someone here will know. It might involve using proxy software but I'm guessig.

I am assuming that by modem you mean dial up not DSL. If you want to share a DSL modem you will need to get a hub and have your ISP give you another IP, get a small router appliance like a Linksys router that will use DHCP or install 2 NIC's in one of your computers and run a proxy.

A crossover cable is just a cat5 with the recieve and transmit connections mirrored so divices with the same interface can be connected.

[ View FollowUps | Post Followup | E-Mail Sender | Main ]

[No follow-ups for this posting]

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload some images for this post

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ CPU-Central Message Board ]